Home>An emergency electrician explains common winter electrical hazards

An emergency electrician explains common winter electrical hazards


Ah, winter. There’s nothing better than popping on a DVD, snuggling up in a doona and putting on the kettle to enjoy some hot tea.

Of course, just because you’re taking a break doesn’t mean your home’s electrical appliances are!

In addition to looking for ways to cut your power bills this season, it’s also important to consider the hazards that winter brings to all homeowners.

In our experience, the typical Aussie home uses significantly more power during winter (and summer) than the other two seasons. And with increased power usage comes an increased risk of electrical shock or damage.

So before you start planning your cold weather activities, it’s best to go over your electrical safety plan. And to do that, you’ll need to know the common electrical problems that you might suffer from during winter!

Emergency electrician

Problem 1: cold weather damage

Safety should always be at the top of everyone’s priority list.

Cold weather – in particular, snow and ice buildup – can cause power interruptions and even serious electrical damage.

Fortunately, very few parts of Melbourne ever drop that low.

If you live in an area that’s cold enough to receive frost however, it’s worth thinking about protecting your electrical systems from the cold.

This is especially important if you have any exposed wiring around your home in uninsulated areas. We’re talking about electrical equipment you keep in your shed or garage in particular!

Extreme cold can cause wiring to become brittle and less flexible. Extreme cold snaps or extended exposure can even damage electrical devices and wiring.

Luckily, your Moorabbin electrician can help protect you against these.

Talk to your local sparkie about getting your exposed wiring inspected. Your electrician will be able to evaluate the health of your wiring and install insulation or even get them swapped for more cold-resistant fittings, if needed.


Problem 2: Damaged wires

The cold isn’t the only thing that can cause damage to your electrical wiring!

Months of inactivity and storage can cause wirings in your heating appliances to wear out. This presents a huge danger to you and your family.

Another risk that many homeowners neglect to consider? Rats.

With the cold coming in, your home becomes rats’ fortress for food and shelter. Not only is this unpleasant to live with, but it can also cause serious trouble for your family and possessions.

Rats will chew anything… and that includes wires. Needless to say, this can lead to serious electrical hazards, and even structural and electrical damage, so be sure to protect your home from rodents. Some of our tips include:

  • Seal up any potential entrances
  • Install protective sheaths for important wires
  • Replace your wiring with stronger wires

And if you notice any well-chewed or damaged wires, call an emergency electrician to get them repaired and replaced immediately!

Damaged wires

Problem 3: Don’t push your system too far

If you live in an older home that hasn’t been renovated, here’s a piece of advice: try to cut down on the amount of power you use.

Not only does this bring down your utilities, but it can also protect you against potential electrical damage!

Let us explain.

Many older homes were built with the families of yesterday in mind. Not only does this manifest in some questionable design choices (carpeted bathrooms, anyone?) but it also shows in the home’s electrical systems.

When winter rolls around, most of us head indoors. That means our devices and screens come out.

Simply put, the architects of the past didn’t know we’d use so much power nowadays:

  • Bigger, brighter TVs
  • Various devices and chargers
  • Computers
  • Brighter, more powerful lights

Many old homes just don’t have circuits with high-enough capacity to handle this. As a result, it’s not uncommon for lights to dim or power to cut out in older homes.

Needless to say, this puts you at huge risk of…

Electrician Moorabbin

Problem 4: Electrical fires

An overloaded circuit or electrical system means one thing: electrical fires.

According to the CFA, electrical fires account for a full quarter of all house fires.

Since winter comes with increased usage of ovens, dryers, and heating blankets, you need to be careful: ensure that they’re turned off when not in use, and that you’re not overloading your home circuit.

If you trip a switch warming yourself, take that as a sign that your electrical system isn’t up to the job!

If you ask this Moorabbin electrician, all families should take effort to minimise their risk of electrical fires. And that starts by attacking the source.

That means engaging a local sparkie to check whether your home electrical system has the capacity you need.

It also means keeping an eye on old wires.

Like we mentioned above, this is one of the most common causes of electrical fires – once rubber coating has deteriorated, it exposes wires and increases the risk of sparks. And this leads to electrical fires.

Even newer electrical appliances can be a problem, as it’s an added circuit which can lead to overconsumption. Consider separate circuits at home to avoid circuit overload.


In need of an emergency electrician in Melbourne this winter?

Protect your home and your family from electrical dangers this winter.

And that starts by calling a licensed electrician!

Briggs Electrical takes your safety seriously. We’re ready to inspect your home and provide preventative electrical work.

And if something goes wrong, help is nearby –  our emergency electrician service is available throughout winter!

We deliver domestic, commercial, and industrial electrical services all across Melbourne’s south-east suburbs.

With more than a decade of experience, Briggs Electrical offers trustworthy and complete electrical services in your home or business.

For fast and reliable emergency electrician in Melbourne this winter, get in touch with our team.

Alternatively, save our number in your phone – that’s 1300 300 222: you never know when you might need an emergency electrician!