Blog

Home>Is your home experiencing electrical problems? Look for the signs!

Is your home experiencing electrical problems? Look for the signs!

Shockingly, according to Energy Safe Victoria, fire brigades attend to more than 300 domestic electrical fires every year.
One of the most common causes of these fires is faulty wiring – particularly if you live in an older home. Old or degraded wiring cannot cope with today’s modern, energy-hungry lifestyle, thus putting you, your family, and home at real risk.

Fortunately, there are some obvious signs you can look out for that may indicate a problem deep within your electrical system. These signs should not be ignored; instead, you should engage an electrician as soon as possible to troubleshoot the issue and provide a safe and long-term solution.
This week, our electrical team in Melbourne introduces you to some common signs of an electrical fault in your home, as well as simple tips to reduce the risks.

Electrician Moorabbin

What are the signs of an electrical problem in your home circuit?

Whether you live in a newly built home or one you grew up in, detecting any signs of electrical problems early really can make all the difference. More often than not, there are ongoing (and growing) electrical issues in our homes that we are not aware
of.

This week, we’re providing a rundown of some signs you should look out for as these are indications of an electrical problem.

 

1. Shock me, shock me, shock me! Electric Shocks

Have you ever tried to plug any home appliance and experienced that split-second shock? You may well have just experienced an electric shock!

An electric shock can be awfully dangerous. If you are lucky, nothing major will happen to your body. But take the experience as a sign that something is not right.

Electric shocks may be attributed to an issue with the appliance itself or the wiring. It only takes one electric shock incident to know that something is faulty, so don’t ignore this loud sign.

 

2. Bulbs burning out too soon?

If your light bulbs at home are burning out earlier than they should, it’s a sign of a potential electrical problem.

A flickering bulb can also indicate a problem, but how do you know if the problem is within the bulb or further down the electrical pathway? You can try changing the bulb to see if the issue persists, and if it does, that’s a pretty clear indicator that the
problem goes beyond just the fixture.

If you think one or two issues look familiar, it is best to reach out to an electrician so you can find out why your bulbs are burning out before their Average Rated Life (ARL).

(Oh, and while we’re at it, thinking about making the switch to LED? Not only are they safer and consume less energy, they’ll last longer, too. Find out more in this blog post.)

 

3. Electrical surges

Sometimes when lightning strikes, we experience some sort of electrical surge that normally results in our power being cut. Besides wild weather, an electrical surge is mostly caused by something inside your home.

When a surge occurs, a disruption in your electric supply has occurred.

Frequent electric surges are bad for your appliances and gadgets. Not only can they damage appliances, electric surges can also cause house fires!

If you are experiencing electrical surges in your home, you must call an electrician to assess and address the problem. An electric surge is a serious matter and if left unattended may endanger life and property.

How can we avoid electrical problems at home?

While it isn’t impossible to entirely avoid issues, there are a few simple things you can do to reduce the risk of electrical dangers in your home. These include:

  • Rely only on a licensed electrician for all your electrical needs
  • Do not overload power sockets (including power adaptors / extension cords, etc)
  • Ensure appliances and fixtures are kept away from water
  • Do not use appliances that have frayed wiring or other broken components
  • Educate your family (especially kids) on electrical safety

Your best line of defence is with an electrician by your side. Not only is DIY electrical work downright dangerous, it’s illegal, too. Your local electrician is here for you no matter the issue at hand.

Whether you’ve experienced any of the above signs, are looking to make smarter and more efficient upgrades in your home, or are facing an unexpected electrical emergency, rely on Briggs Electrical.

Facing unexpected electrical problems? Call Briggs now

Electricity is extremely dangerous – we all know this.

No matter how small you think your home’s electrical problems are, the only choice you have is to use a professional and qualified electrician.

If you notice any changes in your home’s electrical activities – whether it’s a minor matter like a switch not working as intended or as major as a voltage fluctuation – you have to let electricians take care of them.

It’s so important to detect and solve any electrical problems in your home as early as possible. Don’t ignore the signs, and remember that electrical problems are one of the most common causes of preventable fires in the home.

Take care of the things and people you value the most: choose Briggs for all your domestic electrical services in Melbourne.
We’re available 24/7, so give our team a call on 1300 300 222 or lodge a job online.