Some electrical problems can be put off for days and even weeks, while others? Well, they need an emergency electrician in Bentleigh right away!
You can never ignore the potential danger and risks that electrical faults pose, especially when lives and properties are at risk.
If not handled properly, electrical problems can cause serious injury and death. This is why you need to be aware of these red flags so you know when you should call our local Melbourne electricians on 1300 300 222!
How do you know if you have an electrical problem?
Keeping your home safe from the danger of any electrical issues requires regular electrical inspections. This helps reduce risk and potential damage that, when left untreated, electrical emergencies can cause.
These six obvious warning signs mustn’t be ignored: they’re signs that you need to call your emergency electrician now!
1. What’s that smell? Burning smells
Never dismiss an unidentified burning smell.
Internal wires can burn, which can cause electrical fires and other problems.
You should check the source of the burning smell, turn off all power sources, or unplug anything from outlets to avoid a fire.
Most of the time, burnt smells come from outlets, switches, and sockets.
This is why you need to call a licensed electrician to inspect the issue and even help you avoid the risk of a home electrical fire.
2. Seeing sparks? Don’t ignore this sign!
Small sparks sometimes happen when you connect an appliance to an outlet.
However, if you notice a consistent spark in your overloaded outlets and wirings, then there might be faulty wiring that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
Sudden electrical sparks can be a cause of concern, especially if there are:
- Short circuits
- Old outlets
- Faulty sockets and wirings
- Water leaks
- Faulty repairs
3. Is it dangerous if your lights flicker?
Flickering lights are often ignored as people often think that they do no harm, other than a minor inconvenience.
However, frequent dimming and flickering lights indicate an underlying issue regarding your electricity.
It can pose a great danger, including starting a fire. There are a few causes why flickering and dimming lights happen, such as:
- Loose and outdated electrical wirings
- Overloaded circuits
- Voltage fluctuations
- Faulty light switch
- Loose light bulbs
4. Are your power outlets hot or warm to the touch?
You may not treat hot power outlets with concern; after all, it’s reasonable to assume an outlet may feel warm after an appliance (particularly an energy-hungry one) has just been used.
However, you may need a 24-hour electrician in Melbourne if you feel any heat coming from outlets, switches, and sockets. As, along with most other hazards we’ve already mentioned, pose a risk of electrical fires and other safety risks.
Increased heat in outlets, sockets, and wirings should be an area of concern, as there might be a chance that you’re dealing with faulty electrical wiring.
5. Water damage
If your property has suffered water damage, flooding, or water leaking from the outlet, then you may need a certified electrician to assess cables and wiring. These will often need to be replaced immediately.
After any water damage, you may need to rewire and replace electrical switches and outlets as soon as possible, so as not to cause electrocution.
6. Live in an old property?
Old electrical systems will need to be upgraded regularly as old houses and old sheds are usually prone to outdated, damaged, and decayed electrical wirings.
How do most electrical fires start?
Old outlets and wirings are prone to electrical surges, and in fact, this is how most electrical fires start.
Older power sockets have just two prongs for your appliances, while modern outlets have three.
What’s the difference? Well, three-prong outlets have something that two-pronged outlets do not: a ground wire.
This means that modern, three-prong outlets, fitted with a ground wire, have the capacity to direct an unexpected surge of electricity into the ground. Without this, surges can cause appliance or socket damage, as well as electrical shock.
What do you do in an electrical emergency?
Being proactive when electrical emergencies happen, protects your home and property from any risks of power outages, fires, combustion reactions, and electrocution.
There are 4 straightforward steps you should take in the case of an electrical emergency.
Step 1. Turn off the main power source
The first thing that you should do when electrical emergencies happen is to turn off the main power source to be sure that outlets, switches, and appliances are protected.
If you see a spark, smell a burning outlet, or touch a hot power outlet, you should immediately turn off your circuit breaker or power supply to reduce any risks of electrical shocks and damage.
Step 2. Check the source of the electrical issue
Your electrical problems may be caused by a faulty appliance, burned outlets, and even flickering lights.
So after you turn your main power off, you may be able to look for visual clues that help you identify the source of the problem. Do not investigate beyond visual inspections. Do not touch any live wires, and do not touch problematic appliances.
Instead, you should…
Step 3. Call a certified electrician in Melbourne
Last but not least, contact a local, reliable electrician near you who can provide immediate support and advice for all your unexpected electrical emergencies.
Electrical issues are never meant to be dealt with alone. Calling an electrician will save you from stress, and most importantly, protects you, your family, and your home.
And call Triple Zero if required
If you or anyone around you is in immediate danger, call Triple Zero (000) for urgent care from Police, Fire, and Ambulance services.
Need an emergency electrician in Melbourne?
Keep your home and property safe from any electrical emergencies with the help of an electrician in Melbourne.
A qualified and licensed expert electrician provides you with a range of electrical services, including unexpected problems from safety switch failure to blown fuses.